Monday

get your chambray on




There are some things in life that are just heavenly.  Manna, angels, stars, and, of course, chambray, to name a few.  Perhaps you scoff at that statement, but I believe that we will be wearing white chambray robes when we get to heaven.  I finally became the proud owner of a chambray shirt from J. Crew after my sister gave me one for my birthday, and it is the most incredible shirt I have ever owned.  I wore it four days in a row.  I have good reasons for doing so.

First, I wore it four days in a row because it is incredibly versatile.  It has a very classy yet comfortably relaxed look, so it is easy to dress up or dress down.  You can wear one tucked into a high-waisted skirt or with some shorts and cute sandals.  Plus, chambray is used in everything from skirts and pants to ties and shoes.

Second, I wear my chambray shirt all the time, because it is comfortable.  Some people are willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort for style.  But if you want to make a statement without suffering the whole day, chambray is the way to go.

Chambray is made by tightly weaving together white yarn vertically and oftentimes blue yarn horizontally.  This method gives it the soft sheen and slightly worn appearance.  It was first developed in Cambrai, France in 1595 and has been used in clothing for centuries.  It was the fabric of choice for the US Navy uniforms from 1901 through WWII, and the nautical influences in fashion are making it the fabric of choice today.

J. Crew is having a lot of fun with the popularity of chambray.  Shirts, shorts, dresses, skirts, ties, shoes, and hats: they offer it all in chambray.  They have the “I heart chambray” shirt and the stylish Tretorn sneakers in chambray.  Their chambray dress is adorable.  And you can’t forget my favorite piece from J. Crew’s sister store, Madewell, the chambray trousers in pink oyster.

Like I said.  Chambray robes in heaven.  Can’t get much better than that.

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying reading these :) hope your summer is going good so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! It's going great, and I hope yours is as well. : )

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Aspiring writer. J. Crew fanatic.

Followers